Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vintage-inspired dollar store dessert stand




Cake and dessert stands are very popular right now, so how about a do-it-yourself dessert stand for $10 or less? This is my version, which is taller than others I have seen, making room for larger treats ;) I also left the candlesticks unpainted, giving it a more vintage-inspired look.

Remember my favorite crafting supply that I used to make my Easy Easter Silhouettes?


The silver serving trays from Dollar Tree are the stars of the show again, but this time I'm using the round trays.

( bottom of the tray)


So let's get started with this simple project.


Supply List
1 can of spray paint (I used Krylon in Blue Ocean Breeze)
2 round serving trays from Dollar Tree
E6000 Clear, Liquid Nails Clear Sealant, or other clear adhesive that bonds to glass
2 glass candlesticks from Dollar Tree





1. Spray paint your trays, top and bottom ( it takes 2-3 coats) and let dry


2. Put a continuous ring of adhesive on the top of one candlestick. Tip the second candlestick upside down and stack on top of the glued candlestick and apply pressure. Wipe off any excess adhesive. Let dry.




A note about clear adhesives. Liquid Nails is very flexible and easy to re-position if necessary, but takes a long time to dry (about 2 hours). It was also difficult to wipe off the excess adhesive and it left a residue, though it is a clear residue. I have read that E6000 works well for this project, but it is very difficult to re-position.


3. Put a ring of adhesive on the bottom of your base candlestick, place the candlestick in the center of the bottom tray. Apply pressure, wipe off excess adhesive and let dry. Repeat this process, attaching the second tray to the top of the candlesticks.


4. Make sure the trays are secure before putting anything on them.

5. Adorn with treats that look equally delicious.

SAFETY WARNING: This tray is not food safe as is. Do not put food in direct contact with the painted surface. Either line the trays with paper or fabric, or put the food in it's own wrapper, liner or container before setting it on the tray.

I am sharing my project on these fun blogs.

11 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I'm sooo making some of these for my daughter's 2nd birthday next month! YOU ROCK!!! And I just blogged about that EXACT same spray paint. TWINS FOR SURE!!!! HAHAHAH! (Seriously, what are the odds!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you KISS keeping it SIMPLE! :) I only do simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've not seen anyone else do the candlesticks like you did...great job!
    Hey I have a "Featured At" button now if you want to grab it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I should make some for birthday parties :)

    Visiting from Blue Cricket Deisgn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have used those same trays in project, but I'd never have thought of this! So cute!! I found you through the Shabby Chic Cottage, and I'm following you now! :)

    Come visit!


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! This is right up my alley! I'll have to try this some time. I'm a new follower. Come check me out at http://mallicious.blogspot.com/
    <3 Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really lovely...I adore the vintage feel it has...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute, I love the color you chose! I never know what adhesive to use, thanks for the tips!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I love this. love the color too! cute blog. saw you on tatertots and jello.

    kathryn
    -thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm featuring this project on Thrifty Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete